Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A little taste

I've introduced you to Anthem Lights and shared a little about what Jesus is doing with my internet habits, so now it's time for a dash of hospitality. Since this might not appeal to as large a readership, we'll keep these posts short and sweet.

I'm not an expert cook or baker, though I can hold my own. But I love presentation. For a birthday party recently I threw a trifle together that, I must say, came out looking pretty spiffy due to my trifle bowl. When I moved into my studio apartment earlier this year, I culled my kitchen down to my idea of the bare essentials, which included keeping this bowl!  I was able to fill it with yummy layers, seal it up with the lid, throw the removable stand in my purse, and voilĂ ! Have trifle, will travel!

Let's call this THE Trifle ;)
  • One freezer section pound cake, thawed
  • One qt fresh strawberries
  • One pt fresh blueberries
  • Three 8oz containers of strawberry fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt
  • One 8oz tub cool whip
  • One small box Jello pudding mix, cheesecake flavor  
Cut pound cake into 1 inch cubes and slice strawberries
Whisk yogurt and pudding mix, fold in 1 cup of cool whip
In trifle or other deep bowl, layer 1/3 of the cake cubes, 1/3 of strawberries and blueberries and 1/3 of yogurt mix. repeat 3x.
Garnish top with remaining cool whip and a few strawberry slices.
Chill until ready to serve.

BONUS! The filling was tweaked again to become a yummy fruit dip!
  • One 16oz container of vanilla greek yogurt
  • One small box of Jello chocolate pudding mix
  • Half an 8oz container of chocolate Cool Whip
Mix (not whisk) yogurt and pudding mix thoroughly, and then fold in Cool Whip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are currently allowed, but please show the courtesy to sign your name.