Friday, July 8, 2011

Backwards = Forwards

I adore technology. My Droid is my BFF. My laptop is my bread and butter. My fiber optic wireless internet is a beautiful gift. I live in anticipation of the day I can go 4G. These things allow me to be on constant communication worldwide. And yet, there is an emptiness that they multiply.
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. ~ 1 Corinthians 6:12
FaceBook has had power over me for some time now.  A year ago this month I took a month away from it and that was was wonderful, but it pulled me back. If I didn't log in, how would I know when someone I was friends with 15 years ago got married? WHAT IF I MISS SOMETHING??  Only weird people don't have a facebook!

I've also found that status updates and tweets leave me without anecdotes when I see my friends face to face.  "I saw the most beautiful rainbows yesterday" "I know, I saw your pic on facebook" "Oh"  *awkward silence*  How much better is it to have a few moments genuine conversation about something than to exchange a sentence or two over the internet? On the flip side, do you ever expect your friend to know what's happened in your life, only to find they didn't read facebook that day?? Oh the horror! They must not really love you! Wait, is that an overreaction?

July 31st I will be deleting my account. I love all 316 of you that are my "friends" over there, but it's time to kick the habit. I've started a new account that for now will be family only.  I've also started a page just for this blog. Anyone and everyone is welcome to "like" the blog page and keep in touch that way. I'll be blogging more often in an attempt for my internet communication to be RICH & FOCUSED and not 140 character snippets. You are also welcome to follow me on twitter where I'll still be tweeting, but that account will be much more of a news-ticker than anything else. Please do not be offended if I don't follow you back.

My internet communications with people will be here on this blog and through email.  I know, I know, how 90's of me! Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards.  I want my communications to be intentional

And because bulleted lists are my favorite, here are the ways to know when a new blog is published:
(useful since 98% of you come here from my facebook statuses)
  • Subscribe with an RSS reader.  Look for the button over there  ---^
  • Subscribe by email.  Also over there ---^
  • Follow my twitter account.  Over there ---^
  • "Like" the blogs Facebook page  Over...well, you get the idea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
January 2012 edit:
Be sure to read the FOLLOW-UP POST almost six month later!

    8 comments:

    1. *applauding you* I made the break from FB earlier this year, and I don't regret it. I get twinges every now and then, but to be honest, I feel like I've gained more than I've lost. I'm pulling back from twitter for the same reasons, but that has been more of a challenge since I can't bring myself to DELETE. Even so, I want to make a change. Excellent article by Tim Challies. If you and I ever get that chance to have ice cream together, let's make this issue one of the items on the agenda to discuss...we are definitely on the same page.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Great idea, Elizabeth. I'm not too far behind you.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Can you delete your personal FB a/c & still have a FB page? Good on you! I would take breaks from FB only to be drawn back in as I felt like I was missing out. I am now only on Twitter @JoPrincessW & on my blog.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I actually made a whole new account and only let my family in. And then made the page off of that account. Without a whole host of friends, it doesn't have the same power to suck me in. I don't really post status updates on it either.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I like what you said "Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards." It's like, you have to put it in reverse just to get it out of the driveway before you can really go anywhere. Or else you just sit there staring at the garage...or driving into it! You are a good thinker! I went here from Jennifer Farris' link on her blog. She is a good thinker too...and also my daughter (smile)
      Jane Cobb

      ReplyDelete
    6. I think it's probably really healthy to be cutting back on the mindless interaction with a bunch of people who don't really mean anything to your life...

      I have maintained a facebook presence for a few specific purposes:

      ONE) I find it one of the easiest places to distribute photos of my kids to family.
      TWO) I am a youth pastor, so it is pretty much a requirement that I facebook stalk all of my students... :]
      THREE) I am a graphic designer, and it is a great marketing tool. I use a page as well as personal updates (in different ways, of course) to generate traffic to my blog and show off new projects.
      FOUR) I have actually been able to share about Jesus simply by reconnecting with people from 15 years ago, and the shock at their seeing my transformation from high school alcoholic to Jesus-loving Youth Pastor.

      If it weren't for these things, I would definitely be looking for a way out as well. Perhaps one day.

      Good post. Hope it goes well for you!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Thanks for sharing--this is awesome!!!

      ReplyDelete
    8. I Love this! and am so proud of you! I don't know if I could give up mine... I have 3 adult kids and 1 teen - I am a total fb stalker.. :D
      I posted about this kind of thing back in june - kinda - I think I called it "Serious Saturday - Are you really where you are?"
      I found you from Acff's post today - so glad I picked yours to read!
      blessings!
      ( had trouble publishing this for some reason - if it is doubled, i'm so sorry)

      ReplyDelete

    Anonymous comments are currently allowed, but please show the courtesy to sign your name.