Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Home, so very Sweet Home

The big moving day has come and gone.  And the refrain of my heart is that I am BLESSED!  The day went better than I could have imagined.  Moving in mid-January was freaking me out a bit, but we had sun and it was easily 10 degrees warmer than it had been in a week.  I have the most amazing friends who moved everything I owned out and then back in in well under 3 hours with the skill of pros.  Not a nick or a scratch.

Have you ever felt that feeling that you are EXACTLY where God currently wants you to be?  That feeling of rightness, contentment and excitement?  I know it's just an apartment, but this place feels like it was built just for me.  From the built-ins that make me happier than any sort of architecture should, to the way my kitchen table slips right under the counter overhang, to the way my cedar chest perfectly fits under the window.  The tiny kitchen is a pass-though which everyone who's grandma had a pass-through knows it the COOLEST type of kitchen.  And who has SIX windows in their basement apartment?  Yes, some things are small.  But I feel like they are leading me in a direction of learning about self-discipline.  I've been too indulgent and lazy and it's time to turn that around.

My landlords are amazing and kind.  The basement renovations are only recently completed and they are wide open to feedback on how we can make it as comfortable and practical as possible.  There is an openness that makes them much more like upstairs neighbors than landlords.  Though I've never felt unsafe living alone, I feel very safe here knowing that there are people who care nearby.  I hope to be able to bless them as much as they have already blessed me.

Being 2.5 miles from work will reclaim at least 40 min of every day and allow me to go home between work and going out on weeknights.  How nice it will be to go home and whip up some dinner before heading back out!  That right there will save me a little cash and add a little health.  I could even run home on a lunch break if I had forgotten something or need a mental break (since I don't actually TAKE lunch breaks...)



My new home is beautiful.  It's truly a blessing from God.  I talked with friends over Christmas break about God's tendency to pull a bait-and-switch on us occasionally.  I knew He wanted me to give up my place, but I thought I was headed in the roommate direction.  Instead He had this place in mind for me.  All I had asked for was to save money and stay inside the Beltway.  He answered those desires and more.  I know He has even more in store for me as well.

Now I'm going to take those first couple months of savings and have some shopping fun!  I need a small rug for my bedroom, a larger one for my living room, a big chair/small loveseat and new bedding and towels.  I can't wait to see how good it all looks in a couple months!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are currently allowed, but please show the courtesy to sign your name.